You will need:
2 ½ – 3 lb. chicken pieces seasoned with CHIEF salt, pepper, chives, thyme, garlic, parsley, 1 tsp. CHIEF Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp, CHIEF soy sauce, 1 tbsp. ketchup
2 cup rice, washed
2 cup coconut milk and 2 cup water
1 large onion sliced
1 sweet pepper, chopped
1-1/2 cup pigeon peas or 1 tin pigeon peas, drained
2-3 tbsp. vegetable oil
¼ – ½ cup brown sugar
CHIEF Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a large heavy iron pot or skillet
- Add brown sugar and allow to burn until dark brown
- Add seasoned meat and stir until pieces are well coated with burnt sugar, brown for 5min
- Stir rice into chicken and turn often till well blended , cook for 3 min more
- Add onion, sweet peppers and peas and stir fry for a few seconds
- Add CHIEF salt, pepper, coconut milk and water; bring to the boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until rice is cooked and all liquid has evaporated (about 25-30minutes) add more liquid if rice is still hard and continue to cook longer. Pelau can also be baked in oven. Cover (not with tin foil, place in oven and bake at 350 F for 25-30min). in this way, rice is less likely to burn and is fluffy.